44EDO

paul

44EDO

Post by paul »

Like the subject says, I'm trying to figure out the Sagittal for 44edo. With help I've gotten so far as adding :)|: to the 22edo set ( :/|: :||\: :/||\:) for the 1-step interval but I don't know what the next step is to fill in the gaps. Is it a matter of combining the new symbol with the 22edo symbols somehow?
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Re: 44EDO

Post by Dave Keenan »

paul wrote:Like the subject says, I'm trying to figure out the Sagittal for 44edo. With help I've gotten so far as adding :)|: to the 22edo set ( :/|: :||\: :/||\:) for the 1-step interval but I don't know what the next step is to fill in the gaps. Is it a matter of combining the new symbol with the 22edo symbols somehow?
Hi Paul. My apologies for the long delay in approving your first post. Unfortunately I'm the only moderator and I have been away camping.

You have done well in determining that :)|: (the 19-schisma symbol) is valid for 1 degree of 44edo. It is a difficult division to notate as it is neither 1,3,9-consistent nor 1,3,5,7-consistent. We have so far only suggested notating it as a subset of 176-edo. It is however 1,3,5,11,13,15,19-consistent. And it does deserve a native-fifth notation, since its best fifth is the same as 22edo's, as you imply.

The symbol :)~|: 143-comma (13*11) is also valid as 1 degree, but I think :)|: is a better choice as it does indeed combine with the 5-comma symbol :/|: to give :)/|: (the 5:19-comma symbol) which is valid as 3 degrees of 44edo.

Unfortunately the apotome complement of :)|: does not have such obvious visual arithmetic. You just have to look it up in Figure 13 on page 24 of http://sagittal.org/sagittal.pdf. The full set is then:
:)|: :/|: :)/|: :||\: :(||~: :/||\:
1 2 3 4 5 6
paul

Re: 44EDO

Post by paul »

Ah, much appreciated. I nearly had it, except that I had misplaced the apotome complement.