Explain the dual comma symbols

William Lynch

Explain the dual comma symbols

Post by William Lynch »

Hey, I get alot of the symbols but some I don't understand because it's like there are signs which represent two commas. Like 7 limit needs both :|): :!): :|(: :!(: why is this? I need to know for the book I'm writing.
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Re: Explain the dual comma symbols

Post by Dave Keenan »

William Lynch wrote:Hey, I get alot of the symbols but some I don't understand because it's like there are signs which represent two commas. Like 7 limit needs both :|): :!): :|(: :!(: why is this? I need to know for the book I'm writing.
You don't _need_ both, but if it's convenient, you can use a single 5:7-kleisma symbol instead of the combination of 7-comma minus 5-comma.
:|(: = :\!::|):
nai = pao tai

It makes it obvious what the direction of the resulting alteration is, and that it's small (about 5 cents).
cam.taylor

Post by cam.taylor »

[thumbs up]

I find myself using :|(: :!(: more and more these days, not only for prime 19, but for the difference between :/|: :\!: and :|): :!):, as Dave said above. It's only a schisma (~2c) apart from 225:224 (like the difference between 14/9 and 25/16), too, so I use it for that most of the time too. Handy.
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

You mention using :|(: :!(: (nai nao) for prime 19. I'm not aware of a 19-comma in its range. There is however the 19-schisma (512:513) whose symbol is :)|: :)!: (rai rao)—flipped horizontally and a little narrower.
cam.taylor

Post by cam.taylor »

Sorry, conflated the two at the time. Guess it's been too long since I've been actively using all these symbols. Time to get back into it!