Simplified "Stoic" Sagittal for 13-limit tonality diamond use

ndentonprotsack

Re: Simplified "Stoic" Sagittal for 13-limit tonality diamond use

Post by ndentonprotsack »

Hey Dave,

I tried out what you suggested, and I totally agree! Here are the results (this is starting to feel like it is getting very close to a finished project, the symbols are much more readable now): download/file.php?mode=view&id=364
Attachments
Stoic Sagittal.sfd
(46.5 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

Yes. Thanks for that. We're definitely getting there. Can you explain why you didn't go with my version of the triple scroll, which has no close approaches between scrolls (more uniform whitespace between them)? Is it because of the middle one getting lost against a staff line? I had hoped that was mainly an issue when that shape was used for symbols with only a single scroll.

The two new unencoded scroll components should be a single scroll each, even though they are for use in a double scroll and triple scroll respectively. The duplication and triplication should be done in the encoded symbols that reference them. That's so we only need to make any change in one place.

I would like to have a bit more of a fiddle with the outlines, but I have too much other stuff on for the next few days.

ndentonprotsack

Post by ndentonprotsack »

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the long delay on this reply. I have done everything you have suggested, and worked through each symbol with a fine-toothed comb.
Apologies about not using your symbol directly. I tried to copy-paste the glyph you made into the font I have been working with, but it wouldn't let me import it. I have no clue why. So I just modified the double-dent symbol I derived from the standard single scroll until it looked similar to the one you made. You are right---it is not similar enough, so I have further modified it to match yours as well as possible.

Here are the results:

And here is the FontForge File:
Stoic Sagittal demo 2.png
(60.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you have any time to fiddle with this a little more, I would definitely appreciate that! I have again, spent many hours trying to get the spacing as optimized as possible within the constraints of our initial design. I am not sure I know how to do much better with my limited knowledge of symbol design and the program.

Best,
Nick
Attachments
Stoic Sagittal.sfd
(46.3 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

Thanks so much for that. I believe the double-scroll and the triple-scroll look too much alike when on a line. I believe I can improve them without compromising anything else. I should be able to get to it in a few days.