Emoji-ttal

cmloegcmluin
Site Admin

Emoji-ttal

Post by cmloegcmluin »

This one's just for fun. I couldn't find a better subforum to categorize it under.

I noticed when opening one of my Sagittal spreadsheets on my mobile device that the Unicode characters for Sagittal symbols rendered as emojis. Like this:
2020-03-14 07.36.50.png
(335.07 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Not all of them were defined, but in case anyone is interested, I took a moment to type up the ones that were:

:)|(: ramen
:~|(: onigiri
:/|: necktie
:|): tulip
:|\: sushi
:(|: orange
:(|(: watermelon
:/ /|: bouquet
:/|): cactus
:/|\: headphones
:(|): clinking beer mugs
:(|\: cigarette
:)||(: balloon
:~||(: eggplant
:)||~: bento box
:||): party popper
:||\: pink bow
:/||): CD
:/||\: woman's hat
:|||(: red lipstick
:/|||: person getting massage
:|||): barbershop pole
:/ /|||: bikini
:/|||): film clapper
:/|||\: musical notes
:(|||): growing heart
:(|||\: blue heart
:)X(: yellow heart
:X): sparkles
:X\: dash
:/X): hollow red circle
:/X\: anger symbol
:!(: memo
:)!(: kare
:~!(: oden
:\!: hibiscus
:!): sunflower
:!/: apple
:(!: strawberry
:(!(: tomato
:\ \!: palm tree
:\!): WC sign
:\!/: sake
:(!): Japanese "congratulations" button
:(!/: pill
:)!!(: bomb
:~!!(: birthday cake
:)!!~: nabe
:!!): scissors
:!!/: Japanese "secret" button
:\!!): bugle
:\!!/: dress
:!!!(: nail polish
:\!!!: haircut
:!!!): kimono
:\ \!!!: handbag
:\!!!): bell
:\!!!/: beating heart
:(!!!): heart with arrow
:(!!!/: green heart
:)Y(: purple heart
:Y): yellow star
:Y/: sweat droplets
:\Y): red X
:\Y/: glowing star

A bunch of them are Japanese foods. Having lived in Japan for a few years and being a huge fan of Japanese food, I suggest you familiarize yourself with these foods if you are not already.
volleo6144

Re: Emoji-ttal

Post by volleo6144 »

This happens on iOS when a font (such as Bravura) using specific code points in the U+E000..U+F8FF range fails to load.

iOS first had emoji in 2.2, a year or so before Unicode officially added them. They were mapped to "Private Use Area" (6400 code points at U+E000..U+F8FF; there's also supplemental PUAs of 65,534 code points each at U+F0000..U+FFFFD and U+100000..U+10FFFD, but those weren't used for legacy emoji) code points, and—for backwards compatibility—those code points are still mapped to those emoji (on iOS) in the absence of a font to supersede them.

This has the same cause as Etsy's "⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️🐴" bug and Disney's cigarette issue, and persists until the font loads. If the font doesn't load (perhaps you just don't have it here, which is probably the case with Bravura on iOS), though, then you just get random emojis until you leave the page. (At least they're the same random emojis for the same icons on the same font.) I suppose that many of them are Japanese foods because the emojis were grouped together in the same way that ranges are allocated in SMuFL.
I'm in college (a CS major), but apparently there's still a decent amount of time to check this out. I wonder if the main page will ever have 59edo changed to green...
cmloegcmluin
Site Admin

Post by cmloegcmluin »

Ha, thanks for this! I didn't know any of it.

This is the first time I ever noticed someone using the "Post Icon" feature. I still haven't used the signature feature either.
volleo6144

Post by volleo6144 »

cmloegcmluin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:06 am This is the first time I ever noticed someone using the "Post Icon" feature. I still haven't used the signature feature either.
It also seems like the post icons are only available in some boards (the two in "Just for fun"), for some reason.
I'm in college (a CS major), but apparently there's still a decent amount of time to check this out. I wonder if the main page will ever have 59edo changed to green...