Hidden emoji :colon_names:

Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Hidden emoji :colon_names:

Post by Dave Keenan »

e.g. :ice_cream: = :ice_cream:

This is a hidden feature we've had since at least the last phpBB (forum software) upgrade. They are like smiley codes but they don't appear in the smiley palette.

I had a hell of a time finding a list of the :colon_names: for them. But the list inked below seems to work for us, although it is for GitHub, and the emoji are displayed in a different "font" from the one we see in the forum.
https://gist.github.com/rxaviers/7360908

I think they are decoded via a third party server. But after decoding they are simply Unicode characters (and hence vector images in a font), unlike smileys which are raster images.

So you can also use WinCompose to type their hex code-points. e.g.

U1F368 = 🍨

And you can scale them.
[size=400]:icecream:[/size] = :icecream:

I increased the maximum allowed text size in the forum from 200% to 1000%, to allow for big emoji like the one above.

That last one is icecream without an underscore. I think it tastes better that way. :smiley_cat: = :smiley_cat:

And of course, on the Saggital forum we really need :red_car: = :red_car: and :blue_car: = :blue_car:

I turns out that the emoji "font" used by phpBB (the forum software), is the Twitter emoji font, also called Twemoji, as shown here in the column marked "Twtr".
https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

But Twitter does not specify the :colon_names:. And they are not the same as the column marked "CLDR short names" in the table linked above.

If you enter an emoji as a Unicode character, then while you are in the post editor you will see it in the "font" called "Browser", as shown in the table linked above.

:musical_score: = :musical_score:     :musical_keyboard: = :musical_keyboard:     :musical_note: = :musical_note:    :notes: = :notes:
cmloegcmluin
Site Admin

Re: Hidden emoji :colon_names:

Post by cmloegcmluin »

:hot_pepper:

I'll try to pepper these in more often to spice up my posts.