Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Re: 13-limit JI

Post by Dave Keenan »

On 2016-Sep-13, I wrote to Daniel Spreadbury (at Steinberg):

Hi Daniel,

I did post your explanation to the Sagittal forum. You can see a response here:
viewtopic.php?p=372#p372

I just want to point out that since Dorico will only allow microtonality via EDOs, in order to not be seen as discriminating against Just Intonation, Dorico will need to support at least 224-EDO as it is the smallest adequate approximation. Will it support notation and playback of 224-EDO?

When you say that EDOs, and the delta for each accidental (or composite), will be defined as rational values (i.e. fractions), what will they be fractions of? I'm guessing fractions of an octave (i.e. multiply them by 1200 and you'll have cents), rather than frequency ratios (e.g. where a syntonic comma alteration would be described as 81/80). Is that correct?

-- Dave
Daniel Spreadbury wrote:Hi Dave,

Playback of microtonality will not be implemented in the first release, but I believe the necessary features to notate music in any EDO-based system should be there. The delta for accidentals is defined as fractions of an octave, but the denominator can be anything you like, so a flat would be -1/12 in its simplest form, and a maqam accidental would be -1/53 in its simplest form, and so on.

Daniel
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

I just received the following welcome email from Daniel Spreadbury of Steinberg:
Daniel Spreadbury wrote:Hi Dave, George,

It’s been a while! I hope the two of you are keeping well.

I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that Dorico Pro 2 came out just over three weeks ago, and has an initial implementation of playback for microtonal accidentals: notes that are modified with an accidental now play back with the appropriate tuning. Michael, the developer who implemented all of the tonality system and temperament stuff in Dorico, has spent the last week working on generalising this so that every note (rather than only notes with accidentals) will be output with the correct tuning when played back using the HALion Sonic SE 3 VST plug-in, by way of the VST Note Expression feature that means that single notes and chords on the same instrument will all play correctly, as each note can be detuned by a different amount even when on the same channel.

This comprehensive support for microtonal playback will be coming in a free update to be released within the next few weeks.

I hope that this will be of great interest to you and the microtonal community, and I wonder if you have any ideas how we might best reach that community to let them know that we think Dorico is truly ready for their use now?

You can read some documentation describing how Dorico handles tonality systems, including defining temperaments, accidentals, and custom key signatures, if you follow your nose from here:

https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/dor ... ems_c.html

All the best,

Daniel

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | http://www.steinberg.net

President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Thomas Schöpe, Yoshiyuki Tsugawa

Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
tromboneandrew

Post by tromboneandrew »

As it so happens, I created a 224EDO in Dorico to notate Athenian Mixed Sagittal, and it has been working pretty well so far. My setup, in terms of steps per written staff note, is:

A - 38
B - 17
C - 38
D - 38
E - 17
F - 38
G - 38

This gets me the quirkiness of JI where 4 steps is essentially both 80:81 and the Pythagorean comma, and it sounds pretty good. It definitely has become a pretty useful notation tool for me - Dorico's process speeds up notating this stuff a whole lot (compared to anything else I've used besides a pencil) even given the limitations of only having EDOs available.