My general approach to notation: pitch, intervals, chords

William Lynch

Re: My general approach to notation: pitch, intervals, chords

Post by William Lynch »

OH I get this now, we're getting to where we may label an exact major and minor chord in sagispeak. So Tai Major is 14:18:21 and Pao Major is 4:5:6. Cool. We can abbreviate these T and P as well though allowing for chords where we have sevenths such as 4:5:6:7 being the Pao major Tao minor being a Pt chord or Pm chord.
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

cam.taylor wrote:Perhaps I didn't fully get that comment. But what does "ordinary major third" mean here? Surely not 81:64, which it would usually in Sagittal...
Correct. There's nothing acoustically salient about 64:81. I did mean 4:5.
If it means 5:4, then that's a "pao (major) third" by default (using Sagittal's JI logic). What does "supermajor third" mean here? Does it mean 9:7?
Yes. Supermajor third has always meant 7:9 or an approximation thereof.
Then that's a tai major third? So what is a "major third"? Simply the notation for 81:64, surely? Or am I missing something?
Maybe not. Maybe I am missing something -- not fully appreciating the value of the child I helped raise. :geek:
So, back to your comment further above, "notational major" is ALWAYS simply "major" in my system. By acoustic major if you mean 64:81:96, then that's "major" again, but if you mean 4:5:6, then that's "pao (major)"...
It's growing on me. I think I'm just gonna get out of the way, and see where this goes. :)
cam.taylor

Post by cam.taylor »

Maybe not. Maybe I am missing something -- not fully appreciating the value of the child I helped raise. :geek:
Haha! It is quite the child! Guess we'll all have to see where it goes.