Timeout while preparing a reply

Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Timeout while preparing a reply

Post by Dave Keenan »

cryptic.ruse wrote:So I just spent an hour writing a reply to this and when I went to post it, I was asked to log in again, and then my reply disappeared. It seems I am automatically logged out after a short time. Bummer!
That's awful. I would really like to understand why it happened, in case it is some forum setting I can control. There is a forum security setting:
Maximum time to submit forms:
The time a user has to submit a form. Use -1 to disable. Note that a form might become invalid if the session expires, regardless of this setting.
This is currently set to 2 hours. Could you have taken more than 2 hours? If not, it suggests something else was to blame. The thing is, I have never experienced it myself with this forum, despite having sometimes taken 4 hours or more to complete a post. What happens when I do that, is that when I click Preview or Submit I get a message saying there was an error and I should click Submit again. And when I click Submit again, it works fine. Perhaps it is somehow automatically logging me back in when it does that. Browser settings could be involved. I'm using Firefox. What are you using?
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Re: Timeout while preparing a reply

Post by Dave Keenan »

The "Text Area Cache" add-on for Firefox has saved me many a time, from losing hours of work. I totally recommend it. There may be similar add-ons for other browsers.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rea-cache/
cryptic.ruse

Post by cryptic.ruse »

I suspect it has something to do with logging in via facebook, as opposed to inputting my user name and password.
That's sounds likely. I'm doing the username and password thing.
JacobBarton

Post by JacobBarton »

Grrr, this just happened to me. I was logged in via YouTube.

Why not set it to -1 and see if the issue goes away?
Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

JacobBarton wrote:Grrr, this just happened to me. I was logged in via YouTube.

Why not set it to -1 and see if the issue goes away?
Jacob. I'm so sorry. I have done as you suggest, setting it to -1. Also, I got a message from facebook telling me to update some settings related to the Sagittal forum. These were probably triggered by your login. Maybe that had some bearing on this problem.

What really horrifies me is that I only just received email notification of your post (first posts are moderated for spam protection reasons) and yet you apparently posted it 3 days ago! I have no idea what's going on there. So sorry.

-- Dave
JacobBarton

Post by JacobBarton »

I just tried leaving a draft up for a few hours, I think the session still expired and I lost the test message.

On the upside, the save draft / load draft feature seems to work fine. I'll just be more mindful of time when posting :).