How best to use directed comma names

cmloegcmluin
Site Admin

Re: How best to use directed comma names

Post by cmloegcmluin »

I was afraid of that too. I don't suppose Steinberg gave you an instruction book about whether it was okay to change those or if you pretty much locked yourself into them on your first deployment? I'm kidding... you're right that we'd have to query every downstream consumer of Sagittal SMuFL and make sure they updated or went by Unicode code point or something. It'd be a likely imposition on the devs who make this notation work for digital composers (or an imposition on the composers if it slips through).

So that's leading me to think that we should not attempt comma name reform at a structural level right now. I'm fine sticking with how it was. It wasn't that bad.

Dave Keenan
Site Admin

Post by Dave Keenan »

cmloegcmluin wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:04 am
So that's leading me to think that we should not attempt comma name reform at a structural level right now. I'm fine sticking with how it was. It wasn't that bad.
Agreed. But I think the directed comma names should be used in future explanatory material, and maybe even in an update of the XH article.

Which of these (or what third version) do you think will be easier for most readers to understand?

"The right barb |\ is therefore defined as the 55 comma (55/54), i.e., the 11M diesis (33/32) less the 1/5 comma (81/80)"

"The right barb |\ is therefore defined as the 55 comma (55/54), i.e., /|\ the 11M diesis (33/32) plus \! the 5 comma (80/81), where the upward and downward left barbs cancel."

cmloegcmluin
Site Admin

Post by cmloegcmluin »

Yes they are in general a good idea.
Dave Keenan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:14 am
"The right barb |\ is therefore defined as the 55 comma (55/54), i.e., /|\ the 11M diesis (33/32) plus \! the 5 comma (80/81), where the upward and downward left barbs cancel."
I like this one (I edited your post to say "left barbs cancel"). I can't unsee the canceling of the barbs now, but I think that's a great time and place to call attention to that effect.